Are you hosting a soiree at your casa for Easter? I know, the ham’s non-negotiable and auntie’s hot cross buns will make an appearance, but I wanted to throw a colorful curveball on the table this year. Hello beets, take us to magenta colored Funky Town! Perhaps tea sandwiches are passe and egg salad, pedestrian. But, THIS egg salad adds a festive ‘pop’, celebrating my favorite hue.
Egg Salad Turns Up The Beets
If you want to add this egg salad recipe to your Easter menu, I’ve got it all ready to print and pin at the bottom of this post. But, just to make sure you don’t miss any of the nuance or opportunity for silliness available to you in this recipe, I made you a video.
You can find a helpful how-to for perfect hard-boiled eggs at Simply Recipes.
What will Aunt Mildred say when she catches a glimpse of that ghastly color?! Okay, you’re right, I don’t have an Aunt Mildred and truthfully, my family is as colorful as they come. So, bring on the pink.
One note about the color…the longer it sits after being mixed, the brighter pink it gets. If you whip it up fresh, it will be a softer pink. Come back to it overnight, you’ve got magenta. The flavor won’t change, only the color will.
I can also officially confirm that this recipe was heartily endorsed by our resident egg salad expert, Mr. Simon. He said that it was the slightly sweet and mild bite from the pickling process that made this uniquely enjoyable. Let me know if you add some color to your celebrator spread. And, as always, let me know if you have any questions. The comments are your area to share whatever’s on your mind.Print
Egg Salad with Beets
Turning up the color on Egg Salad with bright pink beets.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 16 small sandwiches
- Category: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 4 small beets, diced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbs fresh tarragon, chiffonade
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 Tbs dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs sweet pickle relish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices white bread
- Combine hard boiled eggs with beets, vinegar, salt, sugar and water into an airtight container and cover, allowing to pickle in the fridge for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
- Once eggs are bright magenta, rough chop them and combine with tarragon, mayo, mustard, pickle relish and salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine. Make sure to smash up the yolks.
- Spread salad onto white bread and cut off the crusts and cut into smaller triangles or squares.
- Serve cold.
*Original recipe by Joanie Simon (JoanieSimon.com)