Why make homemade granola instead of buying it at the store? Because you might like your granola extra crunchy, or you might prefer it softer and a little chewy. You can tweak to the perfect consistency you love by adding or subtracting the liquid ingredients. Too, it’s waaaaay cheaper! For the same cost of a box of grocery store granola, you can make a giant bucket of this stuff!
How to make Homemade Granola
This is my Grammy’s famous homemade granola recipe. I was raised on it. I loved to help Mom crush it up and pack it into gallon Ziplock bags. Of course, years went by and I totally forgot about it until Blaise made the recent request for granola. I grabbed Grammy’s recipe and as soon as the oven door opened, the memories came flying back. It’s just as good as I remember and I hope your crew loves it as much as mine does.
As mentioned, you can tweak the recipe based on your tastes. If you want it softer and chewier (how Mr. Simon likes it) add 1/2 cup more water. If you like it crispier, subtract out 1/4 cup of water. But, like anything, make it your own. Make it once then change it up to your tastes and likes. Also, I used Wheaties, but if you can find the store brand or want to go with some other unsweetened variation of cereal, get crazy.Print
Sweet crunchy oat granola made with raw sugar and shredded coconut.
- 4 cups of regular oats
- 3 cups wheat flakes (Wheaties)
- 1 cup of wheat germ (can sub 1 cup of nuts or sunflower seeds)
- ½ cup of coconut
- 1 cup of raw or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or plain salt
- 1 cup of canola oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond flavor
- Preheat oven to 200F.
- Mix together the oats, wheat flakes, wheat germ, and coconut in a large bowl.
- Mix the sugar, salt, oil, water and almond extract in a bowl and mix until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Pour the sugar syrup over the oat mixture and mix until combined.
- Spread mixture onto a baking pan and bake for 2 hours at 200F. Allow it to cool and then break it up into a large bowl or bag for breakfast or snacking.