Growing up, I always asked for the same cake on my birthday. Ice cream roll cake. It’s angel food cake done in a jelly roll pan, rolled up with ice cream (mint chocolate chip for me!) and decorated with frosting. This year, after 35 birthdays, I finally asked my Mom for the recipe and attempted it myself.
Ice Cream Roll Cake
You can customize this birthday cake based on your favorite ice cream flavor, frosting, sprinkles, go nuts!
Be sure you let this cake rest plenty of time in the freezer. It is ice cream, after all, and if you don’t let it chill for a good long time, you’ll have ice cream soup cake. Not as pleasant as ice cream roll cake.
What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream? Leave me a comment! I’d love to know if there are other mint chocolate freaks out there.Print
A classic ice cream roll cake with angel food sponge cake, filled with ice cream and frosted for the best birthday parties.
- Angel food cake mix
- Ice cream
- Mix angel food cake mix according to package directions. Spread in a jelly roll pan which has the bottom covered with wax paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto large kitchen towel dusted with powdered sugar. Remove wax paper. Dust with powdered sugar. Starting at one end, roll the cake and the towel together and cool in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Unroll and spread with favorite ice cream. Roll it back up and stick it in the freezer.
- Once it’s firmed up again, spread with icing & decorate, then stick back in the freezer.
Thanks, Mom, for the recipe!