These Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Wings have pretty much forever changed how I’ll do wings at home. This wing recipe is so much easier than anything I’ve tried before. Plus, you get that great fall-off-the-bone tender meat, but a nice crispy skin. YES!
How to Cook Wings in the Instant Pot
You start off by marinating the wings in whatever marinade or rub suits you. I’ve got a simple rub recipe below if you want to use that. But, feel free to go buffalo, BBQ, whatever floats your wingy-dingy boat. Side note, I also love the whole wings, as you can see from the picture. But, if you want to go with the trimmed flats and drumettes, that will work fine, too.
Then, throw the wings into the Instant Pot pressure cooker along with 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and set the manual cook time to five minutes. This is not only going to cook the meat so that it’s easy to eat off the bone, but it will also break down the fat in the skin, priming it for its trip to the grill. And yes, that’s right, only five minutes!
Once the timer goes off, quick release the pressure and then transfer the wings to a preheated grill. For this recipe, I like the grill to be around the 375F to 400F mark. Definitely hot, but not so hot that it will burn the wings. I just like to get a solid sear on them, a little bit of char, but mostly, render down the chicken skin. Too, I also toss the wings in a bit more rub or sauce since a lot of it will have fallen off through the pressure cooking process.
I grill them for about 15 minutes, turning once halfway through. Then, it’s time to serve them with your choice of wing accompaniments.
Seriously, I think you’re going to LOVE these! We sure do.
An easy way to cook wings in a pressure cooker and finished on the grill for the perfect melt-in-your-mouth chicken wings.
- 16 whole wings (or 32 combination of flats and drumettes)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBS smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground fennel seed
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Combine all of the spices to make a rub (you’ll probably have extra leftover, just keep it in a small air-tight container to use for next time or for ribs, or pork tenderloin…) *if you have a preferred rub recipe or pre-made rub, feel free to use that!
- Rub the chicken with some of the rub, just to coat all of the wings. Place in a plastic bag and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour up to overnight.
- Remove the wings from the bag and transfer to a pressure cooker or Instant Pot and add in the vinegar and water.
- Secure the lid on the cooker and pressure cook on high (manual) and set for 5 minutes. Quick release the pressure once the timer goes off and transfer the wings to a baking sheet, discarding the leftover liquid in the pressure cooker.
- Sprinkle more rub over the wings.
- Heat your grill to medium and once it’s between 375F and 400F, place the wings on the grill, rotating after about 7 to 8 minutes. Cook an additional 7 to 8 minutes until the skin is crisped and sizzling.
- Serve hot with additional sauces!