A low-carb version of Italian Wedding Soup loaded with fennel, spinach and savory meatballs.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional if you want spicy meatballs)
- Small fennel bulb sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 Tbs oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 parmesan rind or 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Combine ground beef, salt, pepper, paprika, Italian seasoning, egg and red pepper flakes in a bowl and mix just until combined.
- Take small pieces of meatball mix and roll into small balls (I go for a gumball size) and place on a baking sheet.
- Once all meatballs are rolled, place the baking sheet in the oven at 400F for 8 minutes, then rotate and bake another 4 minutes to brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat and once shimmering add in fennel, onion, red bell pepper, garlic and salt and sauté until vegetables are soft and fragrant.
- Next, add the chicken broth to the vegetables and the cooked meatballs and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add in the parmesan rind and cover, simmering at least 10 minutes to infuse flavors.
- Before you’re ready to serve the soup, turn the heat off and add the fresh spinach and stir until it is wilted.
- Serve hot topped with grated parmesan cheese.