*Update! Since publishing this recipe, I was informed that cooking with acidic foods is not recommended in standard cast iron. This dish should be prepared in an enameled cast iron pan as the acid can potentially damage the surface of non-enameled cast iron. Otherwise, rock on with your bad self.
We’ve got a giant lemon tree in our backyard that gives us 500+ lemons every winter. One of the great things to do when life gives you lemons is to preserve them, in jars. I follow the recipe from Epicurious. Of course, the question is, what on earth do you do with preserved lemons? I love to dice them up and use them in all sorts of dishes to add ‘zing’. One example? This Preserved Lemon Chicken Skillet, which is also a one-skillet meal.
Preserved Lemon Chicken Skillet
The trick with this one is to get the chicken and potatoes to be done cooking at the same time. Start with searing off the chicken for some nice browning then putting it to the side. Then, make the sauce as prescribed and simmer the potatoes until they’re just slightly softened. Then, that way, once you pop it in the oven, the chicken and potatoes will be done around the same time. You’ll have juicy chicken and nice tender potatoes.
The diced pimentos are completely optional, but they’re a fun addition for sweetness and a pop of color.
Watch out, though. This is one tangy dish! If you like sour flavors, this is right up your alley. I’m a sour lover from the way back, thus my love for preserved lemons.Print
An easy one-skillet meal with chicken and potatoes using lots of fresh lemon juice and preserved lemon.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbs oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs minced preserved lemon
- 1/2 cup Broth
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 8 oz halved small golden potatoes or red potatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- 1/4 cup diced pimentos
- Sear chicken in a heated cast iron skillet over medium high in 2 Tbs oil until browned, turn and brown the other side, then put in a separate container on the side.
- Heat oven to 375F
- Add 1/2 cup lemon juice to deglaze the pan and add in minced rind, broth, thyme, garlic and potatoes and simmer over medium heat until the liquid reduces by half (10 mins).
- Nestle chicken in the potatoes in the juice, season with salt and pepper, scatter the pimentos and pour over the cream.
- Place skillet in the oven at 375F for 10 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are browned on top and the chicken registers 175F.
- Serve hot.