This non-traditional quinoa sushi appetizer has been a hit at numerous parties over the years. I promise, if you show up with these, you’ll be the talk of the potluck. No fancy tools needed, I show you in the video below how to make your own “sushi” rolls with quinoa and veggies.
Quinoa Sushi Rolls
Of course, quinoa is known as a super food with a crazy number of health benefits. But, I love using it here because of the texture. It adheres to itself so easily, making is a good selection for a first-time sushi roller.
My favorite thing about this recipe is the variety it offers. You can follow my filling directions, or riff on it and choose your own things to roll up. Any variety of veggies, fruits, or lean proteins. It’s a build-your own proposition!
*Original Recipe by Joanie Simon (joaniesimon.com)
- 1 cup quinoa prepared and cooled (2 cups water required for boiling)
- ½ cup mayo (or Veganaise or Just Mayo)
- 1 T rice wine vinegar
- 6 sheets of nori
- assorted veggies and other fillings for 6 rolls
- Mix together prepared quinoa with mayo and rice wine vinegar.
- Spread ⅙ of the quinoa mixture on the matte side of the nori, about ¾ of the sheet.
- Place filling items at the top of the sheet/quinoa.
- Wet your hands and moisten the top seam of the nori and then starting at the end where the fillings are, start rolling it up and keep rolling until you hit the seam.
- Keep seam side down and using a very sharp knife, slice the roll into pieces.
- Serve rolls on a platter with soy sauce and wasabi.