I openly admit that I am a wing snob, but also a raving fan. I love wings, a lot. Of course, deep frying can be a royal pain in the tush, so when I heard there was a solid way to make slow cooker wings, I was intrigued. Skeptical, but intrigued.
I attempted slow cooker wings for a Super Bowl party 10 years ago and they were miserable, mushy, and a total fail. But, here I was, last week, trolling Pinterest, seeing pictures of beautiful wings, supposedly made in slow cookers. So, I figured it was time for Pinner or Loser and set to work documenting the outcome here on YouTube.
Slow Cooker Wings
As you can see, these were a pinner in the end and I definitely recommend them. However, just be prepared that if you are a die hard for the crispy fried texture from traditional wings, these may not be your favorite. But, in as much as easy-to-make-at-home wings go, these are some of the best.
Just be sure to not over cook them in the slow cooker. That’s where I went wrong all those years ago, letting them cook until they were mush. I thought three hours on low was perfect for these standard sized wings.
Also, adding some cornstarch slurry to that sauce thickens it right up. But, if you’d rather go with your own secret sauce, go for it! Wing it!Print
Easy chicken wings for tailgating or game day done in the slow cooker and finished in the oven.
- 3 lb chicken wings
- 18 oz BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- Place chicken wings in a slow cooker.
- Combine all remaining ingredients except cornstarch in a bowl and stir to mix until smooth, then pour over the wings and toss to cover all the wings.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on low for 3 hours or high for 90 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Then remove the wings and place on a baking sheet and bake at 400F for 10 minutes or until sizzling and visibly caramelized. Flip once through cooking for even cooking.
- While the wings bake, combine 1 Tbs cornstarch with 1 or 2 Tbs of the cooking liquid that’s in the slow cooker to create a slurry, then add the slurry to the liquid in the slow cooker and then increase the temp to high (if it’s not already) and cover and cook until the wings are done.
- Toss wings with some of the sauce and serve hot!
Enjoy the BIG GAME and eat up!