A recipe mashup that adds trail mix to a healthier version of rice krispie treats.
- 3 cups rice krispies
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup almonds chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Spray a 9 x 13 glass pan (or other microwave safe pan) with cooking spray.
- Add brown rice syrup to a pan on the stove over medium high heat and add in butter and simmer on a soft boil for at least a minute. Stir constantly until butter is melted and the sauce slightly thickens.
- Add in the marshmallow creme to the pot and continue stirring. Cook for another minute until the creme is dissolved and the sauce is a thick creamy syrup. Stir in the almond extract.
- Pour the sauce over the bowl of dry ingredients and toss everything together until all of the dry ingredients are coated and then transfer to the 9 x 13 pan and spread the cereal evenly.
- Press the bars down with a smaller pan inset into the larger pan. Ensure the bars are well compacted and hold together once they’ve set.
- Microwave the 9 x 13 pan with the bars for 1 minute on high. This helps everything set with the syrup.
- Allow to cool and set for 2 hours. Cut into squares and serve.