Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my easy go-to recipes. I can nearly make this one with my eyes closed, except for that whole slicing peppers thing…that’s a surefire way to slice a finger off.
Catch me, not slicing my fingers off, making this rich, zesty simple soup in my kitchen. (Full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post.)Print
Chicken Tortilla Soup loaded with bright veggies and Mexican spices
- 1.5 lb chopped chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbs paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 7 ounces diced green chilies
- 8 corn tortillas pulverized
- 20 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Optional Garnish: Fried tortilla strips, tortilla chips, cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream
- Put all ingredients into a slow cooker, stir and cover.
- Heat on ‘high’ for 6 hours or ‘low’ 8 hours. Certainly, though, it is fine to be left longer as the texture and flavor continue to improve up to 12 hours.
- If you want to fry your own tortilla strips (recommended) take 5 corn tortillas and cut into long thin strips (think shoestring potato sized). Heat vegetable oil in a pot over medium high heat until 325F or until you can place a strip into the oil and it fries without smoking. Fry all strips for 30 seconds or until golden and crispy, then drain on a paper towel.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Mexican
*Original recipe by Joanie Simon (JoanieSimon.com)