What’s the story with these crunchy granola cups? I taught a cooking class all about holiday brunches back in December. In addition to monkey bread and crepes, I also showed the class how to make granola cups to fill with yogurt and fruit. I had used someone else’s recipe, and it was fine, but I had promised myself that I would develop a better, tastier, crunchier granola cup. This weekend, I finally did just that. I pulled out my Grammy’s famous Oat Crunch Granola recipe and made a few minor adjustments in order to get these super crunchy, slightly sweet, nutrient-packed cups. Then, I loaded them with my all-time favorite yogurt of life, Greek Gods’ Honey Vanilla (no, they are not paying me to say this…they don’t even know I exist), fresh kiwi and mint. You could use any combo of fresh fruit, but something about kiwi and mint with the vanilla honey yogurt is unique and refreshing.
Here’s how I whip these little guys up in just two minutes.
Crunchy Granola Cups
Here’s to some fun spring brunches and being the hostess with the mostess!Print
Granola in the form of crunchy cups filled with fresh yogurt, fruit and mint
- 1/2 cup of raw or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or plain salt
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond flavor
- 2 cups of regular oats
- 1.5 cups wheat flakes (Wheaties)
- 1/2 cup of wheat germ (can sub 1/2 cup of nuts or sunflower seeds)
- ½ cup of coconut
- 2 Tbs chia seeds
- Combine sugar, water, oil, salt and almond extract into a bowl and mix until the sugar is somewhat dissolved.
- Add in oats, wheat germ, wheat flakes, coconut, and chia seeds and mix with the liquid until fully covered.
- Separate the wet granola into 12 standard muffin cups, pressing the mixture up to the sides to make a well in each cup.
- Bake at 200F for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Remove the cups carefully from the tin once they’ve cooled. They are rather delicate.
- Load up each one with your favorite yogurt and fruit toppings. Serve immediately as the yogurt will cause the granola cup to soften.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
*Original recipe by Joanie Simon (JoanieSimon.com)