An easy recipe for a low carb broccoli cheddar soup with fresh broccoli and sharp cheddar.
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 Tbs almond flour
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup half & half
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 16 oz fresh broccoli
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium high heat, melt the butter and add in the onion, sautéing until softened.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and thyme and sauté another minute then add in the almond flour and allow the mixture to bubble to cook the paste that forms from the almond flour.
- Pour in the broth, half and half and cream cheese into the pot and stir to combine. Once it’s all combined, reduce heat to medium (do not let it boil as the cream will separate).
- Add the broccoli into the pot and stir to combine and cover, allowing to simmer 8 minutes until the broccoli is softened.
- Transfer soup to a blender or blend with an immersion blender until smooth then add in the shredded cheddar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with broccoli sprouts and sauteed mushrooms.