A simple quiche with the best breakfast duo: bacon & eggs.
- Pie Crust:
- 6 Tbs butter cold, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- ½ lb bacon, chopped and fried
- 6 ounces shredded mild white cheddar
- 2 scallions
- 1 ½ cups half & half
- 5 eggs
- Place butter, flour and salt into a food processor and pulse until butter is mixed with the flour into a small gravely consistency, then add in water gradually until completely mixed in and dough is soft, not tacky.
- Roll dough into a ball and then flatten into a thick disk. Cover in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill at least 2 hours up to over night.
- After your dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a large round sheet, large enough to cover your 9’’ pie plate past the rim.
- Place the rolled dough over the pie plate, pressing it down into the plate and rolling over the edges, trimming the dough just past the edge of the plate.
- *optional – roll out excess dough into a small sheet and use a cookie cutter to create decorative shapes to place around the edge of your pie, affixing with a dab of egg wash.
- Pierce the dough with fork tines all over.
- Place a round piece of parchment paper into the pie dough and fill with pie weights or beans so as to prevent the crust from puffing up.
- Place the pie crust into the oven at 375F for 15 minutes, remove the beans and parchment and continue to bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven.
- Next, combine five eggs with the half and half, whisking so as to break up the eggs and add a little air into the custard.
- Next, layer half of your shredded cheese into the bottom of the pie crust, followed by the bacon, the scallions and then the remaining cheese.
- Then pour the custard over top of the fillings.
- Place the quiche into the oven at 350F and bake for 20 minutes, then rotate and bake an additional 20 minutes. Use a pie crust guard for the last 20 minutes to avoid over browning of the crust edges.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 65 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Bacon Loves Eggs Quiche