- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 2 Tbs walnuts, fine chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup fresh arugula
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1Tbs red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive or avocado oil
- 2 Tbs fresh grated parmesan
- Start with the pesto by placing the garlic clove on a cutting board and smashing it with the flat side of the knife. Sprinkle the salt on top of the smashed clove and still using the flat side of the knife, work the salt and garlic together until they form a paste. Keep the paste on the cutting board to work into the other ingredients.
- Start mincing the walnuts, working in the garlic and smashing with the flat side of the knife to continue to break down the nuts.
- Add the basil and arugula to the work surface and mince and work into the walnut garlic mixture, taking plenty of time to get the nuts and herbs into a fine texture then transfer to a jar or bowl.
- Add the pepper, Parmesan, vinegar and oil to the jar and stir, smashing against the sides with the back of a spoon until a thick green, chunky pesto is formed.
- Keep in the refrigerator up to three days.
- Prep Time: 20 mins