These Instant Pot Barbacoa Burrito Bowls remind me of my exact order at Chipotle. Rice, black beans and barbacoa. I always order the barbacoa, but the other additions are negotiable. Barbacoa reminds me of the shredded beef tacos at my favorite hole-in-the-wall Mexican Food restaurant, Los Compadres. I was raised on those tacos and shredded beef makes me so very happy.
What is Barbacoa?
Barbacoa is tender shredded beef with Mexican spices. Slow braising is typically the way to get that beautiful melt in your mouth texture, but I rely on the Instant Pot (aka pressure cooker, for those not familiar with the Instant Pot). It is important to pick the right cut of beef. I go with the Chuck Roast which is the same cut traditionally used for pot roast. Did I mention this is a total comfort food dish?
Add the roast with all of the other ingredients into the Pot and cook on manual (high) for 75 minutes for a 3lb roast, 80 for a 4lb. This is not necessarily a “quick” recipe, but it is faster than the traditional method of slow braising the roast which can take 8 hours.
The barbacoa is great on tacos, burritos or in a bowl. You could also use the shredded beef for homemade tamales.
It’s up to you how to assemble your bowl. I love to add my Adobo Mexican Rice to the bowl along with some simple black beans. Other additions include salsa, corn, cotija cheese, diced peppers, cilantro and lime.
What’s your go-to Chipotle order? Leave me a comment and let me know!
*Slow Cooker alternative directions: Just put all of the ingredients into the slow cooker and set to High for 6-7 hours, and Low for 8-9 hours. The meat should easily pull apart and is based on a 3 lb roast.
Instant Pot Barbacoa is Mexican style shredded beef that is perfect in a hearty burrito style bowl.
- 3 lb chuck roast
- 1 jar salsa (16 – 24 oz)
- juice of 1 lime
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- *Rice, beans, diced peppers, jalapenos and cilantro were used to assemble the final bowl, but you can customize the additions to your liking! Make it custom.
- Combine all ingredients into an Instant Pot or pressure cooker and using the manual button, set to 75 minutes on high. *add five more minutes for a larger roast
- Once the timer goes off, allow for natural release at least 10 minutes then twist the pressure release to release the remaining pressure. The meat should pull apart easily, but not be mushy.
- Shred the beef and place in a serving dish. Top with additional leftover juices from the pot.
- I recommend serving with rice and beans as a bowl or make it the star of your taco night!
- *for the slow cooker, follow the same instructions, but set to high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8
- *for the oven, place everything into a roasting pan, covered, and roast at 250 for 4 – 5 hours
- Prep Time: 8 mins
- Cook Time: 75 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mexican