An easy recipe for polenta caprese appetizers with polenta rounds topped with mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and a balsamic honey sauce.
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 6 oz cherry tomatoes, small diced
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup basil, chiffonade
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Heat 3 cups water over high heat on the stove until it comes to a simmer, then add in your polenta, 1/2 tsp salt and buttermilk. Reduce heat to medium low and allow to lightly simmer for 15 minutes until the polenta is soft and water is absorbed. It should be stir-able, should not turn into a solid block while in the pan. If that starts to happen, just add water by the 2TBS full.
- Spray two 8inch round cake pans with cooking spray and divide the cooked polenta between the two pans, spreading out evenly until it reaches the sides.
- Place pans in the oven and bake for 8 minutes then remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pans.
- Once cooled, turn out the polenta from the pans onto a clean work surface. It should come out as one large piece.
- slice into 12 triangles, like a pizza.
- Put a slice of mozzarella on top of each triangle.
- Toss together tomatoes, basil ,oil, salt, pepper, honey and vinegar and spoon out a healthy tablespoon of tomatoes onto each piece of cheese on top of the polenta triangles.
- Serve and enjoy!
- *alternatively, if you want this to be a hot appetizer, once you slice the polenta, place the pieces on a baking sheet and top with the cheese and place under the broiler until cheese is melty (approximately 2 minutes) then top with tomatoes as per the recipe and serve.
- *you can make the polenta a day ahead and refrigerate and serve it all cold, too.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Italian