A festive holiday cake of rolled angel food cake with a whipped peppermint cream filling.
- 1 16 oz box Angel Food Cake mix
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups Shamrock Farms Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar *plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- red food coloring *optional
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint pieces
- 1 cup white chocolate melting chips
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325F
- Line a 15 x 10” jelly roll pan with parchment paper, leaving an extra 1-inch of parchment sticking up on both 15-inch sides of the pan so that you can easily lift the cake out and roll it up after baking. *do not spray with cooking spray or butter…greasing the pan messes up the angel food!
- Mix angel food cake mix with water and 1/4 tsp peppermint extract according to package directions.
- Pour cake mix into the jelly roll pan, smoothing to make an even layer.
- Bake at 325F for 15 minutes until slightly browned on top and it has risen to the top.
- Take the cake from the oven and then lay out a kitchen towel (larger in size than the 10 x 15” cake) and dust it with powdered sugar. Remove the cake from the pan by lifting up on the edges and then place it cake-side down on the towel. Pull away the parchment paper and then dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar.
- Starting at one of the 10” sides, start rolling up the cake into the towel while it’s still warm until the whole thing is like a round tube.
- Place the rolled cake into the fridge to cool for at least an hour (up to overnight).
- Next, make the filling by placing the whipping cream in a large metal bowl or stand mixer and whisking the cream until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 cup powdered sugar and peppermint extract, red food coloring and 1/4 cup crushed candies and keep beating until stiff peaks form. Keep the filling refrigerated until ready to assemble the cake.
- When the cake has cooled, unroll it and then spread the filling across the top of it, leaving about 2 inches on one of the 10” sides bare so as to create a seam.
- Roll the cake from the covered 10” side toward the side that’s bare on 2” which then creates a closure and seam and roll that so the seam is on the bottom.
- Keep refrigerated and serve chilled.
- If you want to garnish, you can dust with additional powdered sugar, drizzle with melted white chocolate or top with candied cranberries.
- You can candy cranberries by heating 1/2 cup of sugar with 1/4 cup of water in a sauce pan over medium high heat until it boils and allow it to boil 5 minutes. Then dip the cranberries in the boiled sugar water and then toss with more sugar.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cake, roll cake, Swiss Roll, whipped cream, peppermint, dessert, Christmas dessert