Did you grow up with Impossible Cheeseburger Pie, or as some call it, Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie. No matter the name, this mid-century casserole pie was a favorite of Sarah from 2GeeksWhoEat.com and in this video she shares some memories of it while I show you how to make it from scratch.
How to Make Cheeseburger Pie
Cheeseburger pie is really just three major components. The first is the meat and onion filling. I added a little extra flavor to it with Worcestershire and Lawry’s salt. Then comes the biscuit baking mix, which you can use Bisquick, but I made my own with flour, baking powder and butter. Then, top it all off with shredded cheese and bake.
Favorite Family Recipes
Impossible Cheeseburger Pie is one of those wonderful recipes from childhood, taking us back to our family’s dinner table. Do you have a favorite family recipe? Share your memories in the comments!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp Lawry's seasoned salt
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- ½ cup flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbs Butter
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 - 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Combine the beef, onions, Lawry's salt, pepper and Worcestershire in saute pan over medium high heat and cook together until the meat is nicely browned, then transfer to an oven safe baking dish or pie plate.
- Combine flour, baking powder and butter in a bowl and use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour until it's in small, gravelly pieces. Next, add the eggs and milk and use a hand blender to mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter over the beef in an even layer, then top with the cheese and bake, uncovered, in the oven for 25 minutes until the top is nicely browned and the center is set.