Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Cheese are filled with tender chicken, sautéed peppers, and protein packed quinoa then smothered with green chile salsa and pepper jack cheese for a hearty and healthy weeknight meal.
- 6 large poblano peppers
- 10 oz chicken breast
- 1/2 c red quinoa, uncooked
- 1 tsp oil (olive oil or your favorite cooking oil)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 8 oz shredded pepper jack cheese (divided)
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp chile powder or taco seasoning
- 15 oz can of green enchilada sauce or salsa verde (divided)
- Heat oven to 350F and once heated, place a pan or baking dish with the peppers inside as well as a sheet pan or baking dish with the chicken and roast both for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove both from oven and set aside to cool. Make sure the chicken has been heated to an internal temperature of at least 165F for food safety standards.
- While the peppers and chicken are roasting, prepare the 1/2 cup quinoa according to package directions and set aside once cooked.
- Next, heat a saute pan with the 1 tsp oil and add in the 1 diced red bell pepper and saute until the pepper is soft, then set aside.
- Once your chicken is cooled, chop it into smaller pieces to make it easy to stuff into the peppers.
- Once you have all of your ingredients prepped, combine the chopped chicken breasts, all of the quinoa, the sauteed red pepper, 1 diced tomato, half of your shredded cheese, 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, 1 tsp chile powder and half of the green salsa. Stir all to combine to make your filling.
- Next, cut a slit down the center of one side of each of the peppers and remove the seeds inside.
- Next, fill each pepper with the chicken quinoa filling (should be enough to fill 6 large poblanos very full) and place them in an oven safe casserole or baking dish.
- Once all of your peppers are filled, pour the remaining sauce over the top of them and top them with the remaining cheese.
- Place the stuffed peppers in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is fully melted, bubbling and slightly browned on top.
- Serve hot topped with extra salsa, guacamole, or any of your favorite Mexican condiments.
Regular quinoa or rice or beans can be subbed for the red quinoa.
The pepper jack cheese can be subbed for any other melty cheddar style cheese.
- Category: entree
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: stuffed poblano peppers, mild peppers, chili peppers, roasted chicken, pepper jack cheese, red quinoa