A Classic from the 1950s diner, the patty melt involves break, cheese, onions and an all beef patty.
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 1 T worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 t granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1 sweet yellow onion, sliced
- 1 T bacon grease or oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 8 slices bread (Chompie’s marble rye suggested)
- 8 schmears mayo
- Mix beef, worcestershire, garlic and seasoned salt in a bowl and mix with hands to combine.
- Divide meat into quarters and form each quarter portion into a flat patty, approximately mirroring the size of the bread you’re using.
- Heat bacon grease/oil in a pan over medium high heat and add onions, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Once onions are translucent, add balsamic vinegar and continue stirring occasionally until onions are caramelized, but still have just a little bit of crunch left in them.
- Remove onions from pan and set to the side.
- Add a bit more grease/oil if none remains after removing the onions.
- Add in beef patties, one at a time, cooking two minutes per side to cook through to your desired level of doneness (2 minutes per side gets you medium rare, depending on thickness of patties.)
- Once all patties are cooked, set aside.
- Using the same pan, lower temperature to medium.
- Schmear mayo on one side of each slice of bread and then add one slice of bread, mayo side down to the pan and listen for a slight sizzle (don’t want the heat too high and burn the bread).
- While the bread sears, add a slice of cheese, ¼ of the onions, 1 beef patty, another slice of cheese and another slice of bread, mayo side up. Allow to cook for another minute after sandwich is assembled. Use spatula to check on the bread’s sear and crispiness.
- Once the bottom bread is seared to golden brown, carefully place spatula under the sandwich, holding the top bread with your hand to steady the sandwich and then flip, so that the mayo side of the top bread is now searing on the bottom. Place a lid over the sandwich while it cooks for the next minute so as to help the cheese melt.
- Once the bottom is crispy brown, remove from pan, cut in half and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American