Donuts are a Saturday morning tradition at my house. Typically we’ll buy them at our favorite local donut shop, but this weekend, we’re enjoying homemade Cookie Butter Cake Donuts.
I’ve been tinkering with this recipe, looking for an excuse to use cookie butter in something. My friends at Belgian Boys sent me a few jars of theirs. They have both a creamy and a chunky version. I use the creamy in this recipe since it’s easier to pipe into the center of the donuts.
Join me in the kitchen as I show you in less than three minutes how to get these bad boys on your breakfast table.
Cookie Butter Cake Donuts
Of course, I know the will power that it requires not to demolish the whole batch in one day. But, it’s worth it to leave a few for the next day as the texture of the cake changes slightly, and personally, I like it even better.
A simple cake donut recipe punched up with the famous flavors of cookie butter for the ultimate Cookie Butter Cake Donuts.
- cooking spray
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs softened butter
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1.5 cups whole milk
- 1 package speculoos cookies, crushed
- cookie butter
- spray a cake donut pan with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350F
- combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and stir to combine
- combine egg, butter, almond extract and whisk, then adding in milk
- combine the wet ingredients into the dry
- spoon some of the batter into the bottom of your donut pan, only filling 1/4 of the way up
- then put your cookie butter into a ziplock bag and cut off the corner, then piping the cooking butter into the center of the batter in the pan
- cover up the cookie butter with additional batter, filling to 3/4 of the pan’s wells (do not overfill as you’ll lose the hole in the donut)
- bake at 350F for 15 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean
- cool on a cooling rack then dredge with melted butter on the top and dip into crushed cookies so that they adhere
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
*The cookie butter from Belgian Boys was provided as a gift from the manufacturer. Critics say things taste better when they’re free, but in this case, I’m still pretty sure this stuff is awesome. So, there’s my disclosure. Do what you will. I’m keeping the cookie butter.