***A variation of this recipe was shared on AZTV7 on 8/29/16. Specific instructions for that recipe are at the bottom of this post.
Lots of firsts going on around here. First cooking classes, first TV segments, now a first live cooking demo. I was honored to be invited to cook in the demo kitchen at Williams-Sonoma at their Biltmore location and demo it for the masses on a Saturday morning. The best part? I was able to test drive this recipe and get real, live feedback on it. Here’s what I made:
Start with four standard baked potatoes, wash them really well and pop them in the oven for an hour at 375F. If you don’t want to wait an hour, you can cheat. Wrap up the potatoes in a damp cloth and microwave for 6 to 7 minutes on high. Ultimately, you want the center of the potato to be cooked through.
Once the potatoes are cooked, halve them. Using a spoon, scoop out the centers into a bowl. Be sure to leave enough flesh on the skins since you are going to re-fill these and they need to keep their shape. Place skins on a baking sheet.
Next, using a fork, smash the potato guts with 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 Tbs butter, half of the bacon bits you have, 1/2 cup of grated sharp white cheddar cheese and 2 Tbs. of stone ground mustard. Smash it all up until well incorporated and add in salt and pepper to taste.
Next, fill the potato skins with heaps of the mashed potatoes, dividing evenly. Then top each with 1 – 2 Tbs. of sauerkraut (depending on how much you like kraut), a liberal sprinkling of more shredded cheddar and the rest of the bacon bits.
Place filled potatoes into the oven at 375 for 20 minutes, enough time to heat through the potatoes and melt the cheese.
Remove from the oven and garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
***Looking for the recipe from AZTV7 on 8/29/16? The recipe is nearly the same except, omit the bacon and sauerkraut and add in 1/2 tsp garlic salt and one cooked, chopped chicken breast.Print
Twice baked stuffed potatoes with German flair, including sauerkraut and bacon.
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs whole grain mustard
- 6 strips of bacon, fried crispy and cut into bits (divided)
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese (divided)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 – 1 cup sauerkraut (based on your preferences)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Bake four potatoes until cooked through (or microwave depending on time)
- Halve potatoes and hollow out the centers, putting the potato guts into a bowl. Leave enough flesh on the skins to refill the potatoes.
- Place skins on a baking sheet and heat oven to 375F.
- Smash together potato guts, sour cream, butter, mustard, half of the bacon and half of the cheese along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill hollowed skins with filling, evenly divided. It should heap up in the skins.
- Top each filled skin with sauerkraut to your desired amount (1 – 2 Tbs), a liberal sprinkling of the remaining cheese and remaining bacon.
- Bake loaded potatoes in the oven for 20 minutes at 375F until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve warm, garnished with chopped parsley.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: German