Homemade watermelon syrup only takes two ingredients and just a little bit of patience. It’s slowly reduced and becomes a thick, almost caramel-like sauce, perfect for drizzling over ice cream or mixing into drinks.
You can also do this with standard sugar, but the brown sugar makes it extra rich.Print
Homemade Watermelon Syrup
An easy recipe for watermelon syrup
- 1/2 standard large watermelon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Remove the rind from the watermelon and blend the flesh in a blender.
- Remove the pulp from the juice either with a strainer or by letting the pulp settle and pouring off the juice with a spoon holding back the pulp.
- Add the juice (aprox 2 – 3 cups) to 1 cup of brown sugar in a sauce pan and simmer over medium high until a rolling simmer and continue to cook at least 35 minutes, up to an hour. The longer, the thicker it will get. Be sure to keep an eye on it. If it gets too hot it will boil over.
- After it is reduced by half, transfer syrup to a heat safe container and allow to cool at least 30 minutes, then transfer to the refrigerator to chill at least an hour.
- Serve on top of your favorite ice cream or in cocktails or other summer drinks.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
September 4, 2017, 8:01 pm
Your recipe for watermelon syrup is interesting. I’ve been making it for 40 years(learned from my German mother in law) I add no sugar i of course use minimum of 4 whole watermelons and juice them with a juicer. I then put that through a strainer, pretty easy but I start out with at least 2 pots cooking and cook ALL day 10 hours!! Then we make kraut glacé (which is sauerkraut with steamed pork and steamed bread then butter and of course WATERMELON syrup) I’m making as I write!! Never thought to put on ice cream??? Perhaps we will try!!!!
June 9, 2022, 7:57 am
When you make your grandmother’s recipe, how long does it keep for?
June 28, 2019, 8:11 pm
How long does this keep on the refrigerator?
July 1, 2019, 7:27 am
I kept it up to 10 days without issue. Since it’s sugary and without preservatives, i wouldn’t try for longer than that personally.
August 26, 2021, 12:06 pm
So if im right the sugars should act as a natural preservative should not? So would this keep if canned for few weeks at least
February 22, 2023, 1:57 am
If I have urinary disease, can I eat this dish?