I am not a big fan of rice pudding. I guess I’ve been hung up on rice being savory. But, this Instant Pot Rice Pudding is something I would actually make for myself. Better yet, this will be awesome for winter time entertaining. You make it ahead of time and then serve it cold, so no futzing with fancy desserts when you’re trying to enjoy the party.
I use aborrio rice because I like the size of the grains and they break down to become beautiful and creamy, just like using them in risotto. If you wanted this to be more like an Indian rice pudding, use basmati.
You will find when you make this, it’s going to seem really soupy when you add the half and half. But, the rice will continue to absorb liquid once you refrigerate it, so you’ll end up with just the right, soft, creamy consistency after it’s cooled.
Rice pudding is a wonderful blank canvas that you can toss in any variety of sweet spices, fruit and nuts. I went for dried cranberries, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, anticipating the cooler temps coming up. But, you could go tropical, using coconut and mango. Or, keep it plain and simple.
The best part about this Instant Pot Rice Pudding is that it only requires you to dump everything into the Instant Pot, set the timer and then it’s done. Though, I do add the condensed milk and half and half after the cooking is done so that they don’t curdle and separate. But, otherwise, easy, peasy and ready for your next cozy dinner party.Print
An easy rice pudding made in the pressure cooker with warm spices and dried cranberries.
- 1 cup aborrio rice
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup half and half
- Combine rice, milk, cranberries, water, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in the Instant Pot and set to “Porridge” (20 minutes on high if you’re using a standard electric pressure cooker).
- After the 20 minutes is up and the timer goes off, allow it to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, then release the remaining steam and remove the lid.
- Remove the inner pot from the Instant Pot and then stir in the sweetened condensed milk and half and half and then transfer to an airtight container and allow to cool off for 20 minutes, then put into the refrigerator to cool for at least 2 hours.
- Serve cold topped with cinnamon, more dried cranberries, chopped nuts and whipped cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American