Meat Crust Pie is a mid-century American favorite with meat for crust and cheesy rice for filling.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dry bread crumbs (or panko)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups prepared white long grain rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine beef, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup bell pepper, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano and black pepper in large bowl; mix well. Pat onto bottom and up side of ungreased 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Combine rice with remaining 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, 1/2 cup cheese and remaining 1/4 cup bell pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon rice mixture into meat shell. Cover with foil; bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drain fat carefully. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes to set.
- Serve in slices.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American