Meat Crust Pie is a wild and wacky dish from my childhood. Turns out this meat, cheese and rice concoction wasn’t unique to my upbringing, though. My friend Susie has fond memories of Meat Crust Pie. She shares memories and I show you how to make it in a quick YouTube video.
Meat Crust Pie
This recipe is pretty easy, but there are two spots where I’ve screwed it up in the past. First, be sure to mind the directions where it says to divide the cheese, tomato sauce and green peppers. They go both into the crust and into the filling.
The other place to watch out is in draining off the excess fat after the initial 25 minute bake. Tilt the plate slightly to drain off some of the fat, but don’t go overboard or you’ll lose your whole pie. That would be sad!
Did you grow up with Meat Crust Pie? I’d love to hear your memories! Or if you didn’t grow up with this dish, what was your favorite family recipe that sometimes raises an eyebrow. Meat Crust Pie is admittedly wacky, but one of my favorites.Print
Meat Crust Pie is a mid-century American favorite with meat for crust and cheesy rice for filling.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dry bread crumbs (or panko)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups prepared white long grain rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine beef, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup bell pepper, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano and black pepper in large bowl; mix well. Pat onto bottom and up side of ungreased 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Combine rice with remaining 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, 1/2 cup cheese and remaining 1/4 cup bell pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon rice mixture into meat shell. Cover with foil; bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drain fat carefully. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes to set.
- Serve in slices.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American