A classic recipe for shrimp fried rice with fresh shrimp, green onions, carrots, peas and sesame oil.
- 1 cup white jasmine rice
- 1.05 cups water
- 4 Tbs sesame oil (separated into 1 Tbs increments)
- 12 raw large to jumbo shrimp (peels on or off based on your preference)
- 1/2 medium onion minced
- 1 medium carrot small diced
- 2 scallions, small diced
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare 1 cup of uncooked white jasmine rice with water according to package directions. If using the Musui–Kamado, measure using the rice cup and the water cup to the 1 cup levels. Select [WHT] rice, [NORM] finish, [1.0] cups, and press start.
- Once the rice is cooked, place it in a bowl and toss it with 1 Tablespoon sesame oil so as to help prevent clumping
- Preheat the pot on the [MED] setting. Once the [GRILL OK] sign appears, spread the oil evenly and sear the shrimp in an even layer and cook, stirring and turning shrimp occasionally, until pink, approx. 2 minutes. If using a stove top, heat the pot over medium high heat. Once cooked, remove the shrimp to another bowl or plate and cover until ready to serve.
- Next, continuing on the [MED] setting, add in 1 Tablespoon of sesame oil and then add in the prepared rice, stirring frequently for three to five minutes so that the rice is lightly toasted and slightly chewy. If you are on a stovetop, complete this step in batches to ensure toasting.
- Next, press the rice up against the sides of the pot and add in the diced onion, carrot and scallions to the center of the pot and sauté until fragrant (approx. 1 minute) then stir together with the rice in the pot and add in the 1 tsp of rice wine vinegar and 2 tsp of soy sauce and toss to combine.
- Press all of the rice and vegetables back up along the sides of the pot and add in the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil to the center. Then break the egg into the oil in the center and using your spatula, scramble the egg.
- Once the egg is in small bits, toss it together with the rice and vegetables.
- Finally, add in the 1 cup of peas and toss to combine. It’s important to add the peas at the end so that they retain their vibrant green color and don’t get overcooked. You just want them warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the rice topped with the cooked shrimp and enjoy!
- Shrimp can be substituted for chicken, beef, or tofu.
- You can use leftover rice that has been refrigerated. Just make sure that all clumps of rice are broken up so you’re frying separated grains.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 75 min
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: rice, fried rice, shrimp, scallions, peas, carrots, Chinese food, Asian food