Vegan Tater Tot Pizza
This comfort food recipe with a healthy twist uses tater tots to make the crust and piles on a perfect balance of flavors with sun dried tomatoes, kale, mushrooms, artichoke hearts and tangy marinara.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: entree
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan
- 16 – 20 oz of frozen tater tots (the amount you’ll need will vary based on the size of your pan)
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1/2 cup chopped kale
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 3 – 4 artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce or marinara
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 5 leaves of fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Arrange frozen tater tots in a cast iron skillet, long side down and fill the pan as much as possible leaving as little of a gap between tots as possible (read explanation in post above).
- Bake the tater tots at 425F for 12 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a spoon to smash them down so that the gaps are filled and you’ve created a solid crust with the tater tots. If they don’t smash and are still slightly frozen, bake for another 5 minutes and then try again.
- Place the smashed tater tot crust back in the oven for another 12 minutes at 425F to crisp it up.
- While the crust is baking, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium high heat and cook down the kale until it’s soft, occasionally stirring, and then add in the mushrooms until they’re soft, then add in the sun dried tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Once the crust is done baking, remove it from the oven and top it with the pizza sauce, the sauteed vegetables, and cheese (or your desired toppings) and then place back in the oven to bake for another 8 minutes at 425F.
- Garnish with fresh basil. Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe was prepared with a 9in cast iron skillet
Keywords: tater tot, cast iron, kale, vegan, gluten free, baked, potatoes