This recipe for Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole is a one-pot dish and can be completed, start to finish, in 25 minutes. It’s just like the familiar holiday side that you make in the oven, but the Instant Pot does all the work, leaving room in the oven for things like turkey and apple pie.
The Green Bean Casserole Tradition
Taste-wise, this recipe is just like the green bean casserole we all grew up with, but better. For one, I don’t use cream of mushroom soup. But, never fear! This still has the same creamy sauce, just loaded with a lot more flavor and less preservatives.
Too, it’s important to note that I use fresh green beans and not canned. The beans will become mush if you try this with canned beans. Frozen will work if you’re not able to get fresh. Just put them in while they’re still frozen.
Timing is Everything
One minute on ‘manual’ is all you’ll need on the Instant Pot cook time. Quick release as soon as the timer goes off otherwise your beans will be overcooked and sad. It will take 5 to 10 minutes for the pot to heat up, but once it seals, it’s only one minute on the timer!
Serving Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole
Once you’re ready to serve this, the measurements provided in this recipe will fill a 2 quart casserole dish. Of course, top it with French fried onions. It would be a crime if you didn’t. I hope you love this Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole as much as we do here on the Simon Ranchito!
A recipe for Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole that’s made in one pot and come together in under 30 minutes, made with fresh green beans.
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (1 tsp fresh)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 32 oz fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 Tbs corn starch
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 oz diced low-moisture mozzarella
- 4 oz french fried onions – divided
- Put the Instant Pot on ‘saute’ mode and add in the butter and the onion and stir to cook the onions until fragrant.
- Stir in the mushrooms, thyme and salt and keep stirring until the mushrooms soften slightly.
- Add the stock and fresh green beans to the pot and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to manual for 1 minute, ensuring the top is sealed.
- While that cooks, combine the sour cream, salt, nutmeg, Worcestershire, and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the timer goes off, quick release the pressure.
- Once the pressure is completely released, sprinkle 1 Tbs corn starch over all of the mixture and stir so that it dissolves.
- Next, add the mozzarella, the sour cream mixture and 2 oz of the fried onions to the pot and stir to combine. The cheese will start to melt and get stringy.
- Transfer the combined mixture to a 2 quart serving casserole dish and top with remaining French fried onions.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 12 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: American