Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie is pumpkin pie and gooey chocolate chip cookies, fused into one dessert. Top it with ice cream, of course.
The Testing Process
When I was developing this recipe I wanted a pie that had the consistency of pumpkin pie. Soft, just a little silky. But, then I wanted the magic experience of soft baked, warm chocolate chip cookies. I also wanted the pie to be irresistible right out of the oven, but still enjoyable the next day for breakfast. Because pie is always an acceptable breakfast. Always.
After many tests and tweaks, I hit the perfect combo of ingredients and got a pie that makes you think. Is it pie? Is it cookie? Just one more bite.
Butter & Eggs
I do have to note the importance of properly softening the butter and making sure the eggs are room temperature. Don’t try to soften the butter by microwaving it. Just set it out with the eggs a few hours before you’re going to make the pie and then cream them together with the sugars. If you try to soften the butter in the microwave or use cold eggs, you’re going to get separation in your batter and you won’t get the magic crisped cookie topping.
I use mini chocolate chips for this recipe just so that the chocolate isn’t overwhelming. But, certainly, if you want to get choco-crazy, feel free to use regular chocolate chips.
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 deep dish pie crust, defrosted, uncooked
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine the eggs and sugars in a bowl and beat on high with an electric mixer until smooth and lightened in color. Add the softened butter and vanilla and continue to beat until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin to the batter and just stir until combined.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice and then add to the batter and stir until combined, but don’t overwork.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the pie crust and bake on the lowest rack of the oven for 50 minutes at 350F or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Prep Time: 12 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins