Imagine a BLTA (Bacon Lettuce Tomato Avocado Sandwich) but ditch the bread and add in a homemade zesty Southwest Ranch dressing made with creamy buttermilk. It’s a salad fit for a meal.
The Salad Components
Most of my recipes come with options based on your own tastes. This particular salad, the bacon, lettuce, tomato and avocado are non-negotiables. But, the cheese and cilantro are optional or substitute-able.
The cotija cheese is the first recommendation since the flair of this salad skews toward the southwest flavors. But, I’ll be honest, I don’t love cotija and use feta in its place. Perhaps a misplaced fusion of flavors, but hey, we’ve all got our own tastes and opinions. You do what makes you happy.
As for the cilantro, I know there are people out there with a flavor aversion to the herb. So, in which case, ditch it altogether and don’t think twice about it.Print
Southwest Tomato Bacon Avocado Salad
Imagine a BLT but skip the bread, add avocado and toss it with a tangy southwest ranch dressing.
- Prep Time: 20min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 - 8 servings
- Category: salad
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbs lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 Tbs yellow mustard or dijon
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head romaine or green leaf lettuce
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or slaw mix
- 6 strips of bacon cooked and then chopped into bits
- 1/3 cup cotija or feta cheese
- 1 cup sliced cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
- Combine dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Place in a dressing container for serving.
- For the salad, layer up the ingredients in a large serving bowl and toss with dressing or serve the dressing on the side
- For a spicy kick, add jalapenos
- There will likely be more dressing than you need for the salad, so just keep the remaining and use it for dip or another salad.
Keywords: BLT, avocado, salad, ranch dressing, bacon, tomatoes, dinner salad, keto