Need your espresso mocha fix, but don’t have an espresso machine and don’t want to drop $4 at Starbuck’s? Got ya covered! It’s rich and creamy, not too sweet and very chocolatey. Of course, like most of my recipes, you’re welcome to make tweaks based on your tastes. You do you.
Biggest suggestion to getting this right is to go with a quality chocolate. I used a Ghiradelli 60% Cacao Unsweetened bar. My version is extra, extra chocolatey. I recommend using between 1/2 ounce and 1 ounce of chocolate based on how much of a chocoholic you are. You can also adjust the sugar if you like things a little extra sweet
(Full printable recipe at the bottom of this post.)
No Machine Required for this Espresso Mocha
Did ya catch that? The only fancy equipment was the microwave! Remember to only microwave it until it’s steamy, not scalding and then slowly add it in to the melted chocolate so that it’s smooth.
Of course, the big question is if you’ll add the whipped cream on top of your mocha? Or maybe chocolate curls? Sprinkles? Regardless of how you top it, you’ll love enjoying a fancy coffee drink without the coffee shop price.Print
No Machine Mocha
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
A chocolatey espresso mocha you can make at home without any special equipment.
- 1 cup whole milk (foams up better than 2% or skim)
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso (or amount based on package directions for 1 espresso)
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- *whipped cream and chocolate shavings optional
- Place 1 cup of milk in a mason jar and heat in the microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds until slightly steaming.
- While the milk is in the microwave, heat 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate in a sauce pan over medium low heat and add in 1 teaspoon instant espresso and 1 teaspoon sugar and mix continuously until smooth and chocolate is melted.
- Next, add the heated milk into the chocolate slowly by the tablespoon so as to create a homogenous, mocha mixture, reserving 1/4 cup of the milk. Increase heat to medium if needed to help continue melting the chocolate and heating the mixture.
- Put a lid on the mason jar with the remaining 1/4 cup of milk and shake vigorously for 30 seconds until the milk foams.
- Pour the mocha mixture into a mug and top with the remaining foamed milk.
- *Optional: top with whipped cream and grated chocolate
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 3 mins
- Category: Beverage
- Cuisine: American
October 26, 2020, 7:29 pm
I don’t know if it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering problems with your website.
It looks like some of the text on your posts are running off the screen. Can somebody else please
comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well?
This could be a issue with my web browser because I’ve had this happen before.
December 3, 2022, 7:03 am
Turned out yummy! I used soy milk, which worked well. I had to melt the chocolate in a double boiler – just placed one small saucepan over another with boiling water in it. It was starting to burn when I had it directly on the stovetop. The milk didn’t truly “foam” in any way, but the ratios of ingredients were spot on, and it’s scrumptious. Thank you!