A quick and easy recipe for Black Eyed Pea Soup made in the Instant Pot with collard greens and sausage. The secret is in using dried beans for a better flavor.
Good Luck Soup
Black eyed peas (not the band) are a symbol of good fortune and prosperity in the south. Additionally, the collard greens symbolize money. Many people serve this recipe on New Year’s Day as a way to ensure a prosperous new year.
The thing that makes this particular recipe special is in using dried beans instead of canned. Dried beans always taste better to me and their texture holds up. Too, they’re cheaper!
The Instant Pot is perfect for cooking beans quickly so you don’t have to go through the hassle of soaking them overnight. I’m never good at planning that far ahead.
Gluten Free Soup!
This recipe also happens to be gluten free. Of course, if you are preparing this for someone with a gluten allergy, be sure to confirm the sausage and bouillon that you purchase don’t have gluten in them. Better than Bouillion’s Chicken variety is clear as is Aidell’s Andouille Sausage.
Prep Your Collard Greens
You’ll want to remove the bitter spines out of the leaves of the collard greens before adding them to the pot. You can cut them out with a knife, or do like me and just pull the leaves away from the spine. Either way, the spines are a bit too tough to eat and are especially bitter.
Don’t Have an Instant Pot? Slow Cook It!
My favorite part about this soup is that it builds complex flavors without having to simmer on a stove top all day. Of course, if you don’t have a pressure cooker, you could do this in a slow cooker. Just set it on low for 8 hours or high for 5 to 6. You want the peas to get soft, but not mushy. I like my beans with some texture.
The addition of the hot sauce is also completely optional. I am a spice fan, so I usually double what’s reflected in the recipe below. But, if you’re sensitive to heat, you can omit it all together.
I hope you have a wonderful new year and enjoy getting cozy with these Black Eyed Peas.
Great Soup Recipes
*Original recipe by Joanie Simon (JoanieSimon.com)Print
An easy recipe for Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea Soup that comes together in under an hour with collard greens, andouille sausage and fresh veggies.
- 16 ounces black eyed peas, dried
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 Tbs hot sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 7 cups water
- 12 ounces chopped Andouille sausage
- 3 cups chopped collard greens
- Put dried black-eyed peas in a container and cover in water, 1 inch higher than the beans and allow to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the beans, rinse and place in the pot of an electric pressure cooker. Add in chopped onion, chopped carrots, bouillon, caraway, garlic salt, lemon pepper seasoning, hot sauce, paprika, balsamic vinegar and water. Set pressure cooker at 6 minutes on high and allow to cook.
- Once the 6 minutes is up on the cooker, release the pressure and add in the sausage and collard greens. Cover the pot again and pressure cook for 2 minutes on high.
- Once cooking is completed, keep on warm until ready to serve. Add more salt to taste.
- Serve with chopped scallions.
*Feel free to sub another type of sausage depending on what’s available to you and your personal tastes.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: black eyed pea soup, beans, sausage, new years, collard greens, gluten free, instant pot